Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fantasy Football Time!!!!

It is football season, and that is the greatest time of the year. I am not a complete nut about football where I can rattle off stats and won loss records the last decade or two, but I do watching it. I also enjoy playing fantasy football. I have been around it since the early 80's when my dad started up his league. That league is still going, and I have become a part of it in the last dozen years or so. It helps me become more involved with the league as a whole, instead of just tied to one team. Kim is very die hard for the Vikings. I enjoy the Vikings, but really enjoy the league as a whole.

So usually every year I get into a couple of online leagues, and then dad's league. This year, because my connection here in the desert isn't the greatest, I decided not to do any online leagues. Some of the guys here though decided to do a league, so I will be in two still this year.

The league here in Iraq is interesting because we did the draft auction style. I have been doing this draft in my dad's league for a while, and truly love it. Instead of just one guy getting a chance at the best player, everyone has a chance. You get so much money at the start to budget with, and then bid on players to fill out your roster. I didn't do that well in the league here, as I hadn't really done any mock drafts, and didn't know how anyone would pick. I blew my money early and had to scramble late. It isn't the worst team, but it isn't great either.

The next night I participated in my dad's auction draft. Kim was most helpful in going to the draft for me. I was able to use Skype to talk with her on the phone and through her computer and help her with the draft. The technical issues were frustrating, but I think we did really well in this draft. I won't post either team here, because I don't think anyone cares really. If you want details on the draft, feel free to comment. I can always post more info about each league and the rules involved.

So with football season starting, and fantasy football here to occupy us with a distraction, I have a feeling that time will move a bit quicker. And that is a good thing as we start the downhill stretch of this deployment. At least it seems like downhill for me since I got back from Australia.

That is it for now. Not sure what I will talk about next time, but I will think of something.

Until then......

No comments:

Post a Comment