Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 6 - Food and Wine Tour

Today I had the food and wine tour, and it was pretty good. Our first stop was at a coffee farm, and it was interesting to see the berries and the beans. The whole process by this elderly couple and their daughter in their garage basically. Now I am not a big fan of coffee, but I had a little of it and it was really good. Not bitter at all, so I picked up some for the guys back at the site. I also got some chocolate covered beans that were pretty tasty too.


Then we went to our first wine stop. The wine wasn't too good, but they had some liqueurs that were really good. I wound up buying a couple hoping I will be able to ship them home, as I obviously can't bring them back with Me to Iraq.

From there it was the Macadamia Nut farm. This was interesting to see the trees and hear about how a cyclone a few years ago had taken out a huge bit of the farm. I picked up some packages to send to me in Iraq, and also some bits and pieces to send home to the wife. I am sure she can find some use for the nuts.


After the farm, we had lunch. It was fish and prawns. It wasn't too bad, but it is weird seeing prawns with the heads and feet. There was also a salad and fruit on the plate as well. Not bad for a free meal, or at least a meal as part of the package.

After lunch, we went to a dairy farm where they made fresh cheese, and also molded chocolate. The cheese was ok, but would have been better with crackers or something to eat with it. The chocolate was pretty good, and I had some chocolate macadamia clusters.


After the farm we hit the second wine stop. This one probably would have been better, but we started with a merlot. At least that is what the guy said it was, and it really screwed with my taste buds. I couldn't really taste any of the next wines because it just stuck on my palette. Once we got to the liqueurs though, it finally cleared off since they were a bit thicker and could overpower the merlot. I got a bottle of Hazelnut/Macadamia nut liqueur that was really good.
Almost like a maple syrup you could put on pancakes.

After that we stopped at a crater lake for scones and juice. I could have had tea or coffee, but didn't want to push my luck too much. After that, we stopped at this HUGE fig tree. It was immense, and it was all roots. It looked like something out of a horror flick and I was expecting a root to come out and grab one of us.

Then it was back to the hotel, and the drive was winding. I am not good on that sort of thing as a passenger, and my head started to spin a little, so I closed my eyes and just rode it out. Once we got through that passage, it was better, and we drove back into Cairns.

I then had supper, which was OK, and then I will pack and get ready for the flight tomorrow to Brisbane. I will get us a car there and we will be staying at the Gold Coast. Should be relaxing with the beaches and a lot of fun. The main purpose of this stop is to go to the Hard Rock cafe.


That is it for now. I will keep up the posts, and you guys can just read and be jealous of my trip. Ok, maybe not, but let me have some fun, ok?

Until then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment